Vegan Chicken Burger
As a vegan and vegetarian, I have experimented with dozens of different burger recipes. I have used black beans, tvp, chickpeas, vegetables, seitan, and on and on. And every recipe I have tried has been absolutely delicious, and I would make each one over and over again. With each recipe, though, there would be some small problem that would send me searching for a new one. I found that many veggie patties crumble as soon as they hit the cooking surface, or the amount of prep time means they are an all-day project; others are just too precious and require too many measuring implements. I just cannot be bothered with any of that. In my mind, burgers are easy, fool-proof and delicious.
This recipe is easy, has minimal active time and can be fried, baked, or grilled. The first step of baking the seitan in a water bath takes awhile but makes the end result flavourful and juicy.
- 1 cup gluten flour
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast (nooch)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 tsp (divided) vegan chicken stock powder
- 2 tbsp tahini or 4 tbsp sesame seeds dry fried for a few minutes
- 3-4 cups water
- 4 burger buns
- Mixed greens
- Sliced tomatoes
- Hot sauce
- In a medium sized bowl add gluten flour, nooch, garlic and onion powder. Mix well.
- Add 3/4 water, stock powder, and tahini or sesame seeds to a blender and blend until mostly smooth. If you are using the seeds, it is totally fine to have some bits left - it adds a nice texture to the final product.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry and knead the dough until it is smooth. About 5 -7 minutes.
- Divide the ball into four equal balls and form each into a flat patty. These will double in size while they are in the oven, so don't make them too big.
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Place the patties in a shallow casserole dish. Add the remaining stock powder and enough water to cover the burgers.
- Bake uncovered for 45 minutes, flip and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Once the baking is complete and the burgers are nice and plump, preheat a frying pan over medium high heat.
- Fry each burger until it is golden brown on both sides.
- Dress the burgers with greens, tomatoes, and hot sauce.